31 July 2009

Boundless?

Hehe, had to giggle a bit when reading this (in my never-ending quest for semantic mapping of software systems architecture) ;

"The Open Group is a vendor- and technology-neutral consortium, whose vision of Boundaryless Information Flow™ will enable access to integrated information within and between enterprises based on open standards and global interoperability." (My emphasis)

To embrace "open" you would think that getting to the info would be, you know, just open, but no. There are free chapters available for you to see, just to make sure, you know, there's an engine under the hood, all you need to do is to jump through a few hoops, register, and ... ugh. So I bit this bullet, registered and I got the introductory guide to the TOGAF framework, but it reads as any other fluffy "use our framework, and all shall be well in the world" vendor selling you miracle cures out there. Disappointing, really. I could get the full thing if I apply for a 90-day personal license, but I don't think I'll bother as I react badly to fluff, and I definitly get an allergic reaction to having to register, revealing personal info and such, just to get to read their fluffy bits. What gives?

I think these people have completely misunderstood what "open" means, which is a shame considering that the content might be useful. But I say only might, as I would have no idea. Phft, open, my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment