14 August 2009

Emotional thunderstorm from the Ukraine

I have to share this one with you. My grandfather, Hans Adolph Johannesen, fought during WWII as part of the Norwegian underground resistance to the German invasion, was captured and put in prison for many years (1 year at Grini, Norway, and 2.5 years in Germany, till the end of the war, with and befriended former prime minister of Norway Trygve Brattli). All of this many years before I was even born. But he shared the stories and the pain and the heroism. I recorded it, I interviewed him, I lived with him. And then he died, almost 10 years ago.

And right now all those emotions came washing over me, a thunderstorm, pouring rain, because I was silly enough to watch this amazing - in the true sense of the word! - artist retelling of such pain and memories, and in the least likely of all places ;
Ukrainian sand artist proves that reality TV's got talent: "James Donaghy: Kseniya Simonova, the winner of Ukraine's got talent, has become a YouTube phenomenon by telling stories through sand animation. Who needs Susan Boyle?"

1 comment: